3D Models: Cart and Props

Using all of the props that I created I decided to compile all of the props into one environment. I did this by merging all files into one and then positioning the props so that they don’t look out of place. I then copied and pasted the props so that the cart wasn’t bare and so that the props filled up the floor surrounding the cart. While doing this I made sure that the scale of all of these props was relative to each other so that nothing looked too large or too small. Finally, I added a floor and a background so that the shadows of the props allowed it to stand out, being more visible.

IN reflection to this, I think this has turned out quite well and the props all seem like they belong together. My only concern is that because these props were created over time, it is clear on which props I started with, and which I finished with. One improvement I feel like I need to make, which I need to learn how to do, is properly rendered so that the long correctly shows the shadows and the props are rendered in the highest quality image.


3D Models: Armor and Quiver

After finishing the weapons I then decided to tackle the hardest pieces of the list of props, that being the quiver, with arrows, and the helmet. I started off with the quiver Using a cylinder as the base shape. This could have already been the finished prop but I decided to add detail such as metal rims that were at the top and bottom, appearing as if they were holding the quiver together. I then added a seam down the middle and little buckles where straps would attach to the quiver. All of these made the quiver feel more life like and like it could actually be used. To go in the quiver I also made an arrow which I would copy and paste so that the quiver was full. The arrow was fairly simple as I used the tricks I learned from the sword on how to have a realistic looking sharp edge.

The hardest piece of all the props was the helmet and I found that the easiest way to create it was in separate pieces. I started off by creating the basic shape with a sphere as this gave me a rounded shape that would be used as the top. I then sculpted it so that it was similar to the original drawings that I had created. Since this was a sphere it was hard to use the bevel tool to add detail, therefore, I decided just to create the pieces separately and then attach them together. Finally, I created the wings which I used a side of a box with multiple segments so that I could adjust the shape. Then I mirrored all the pieces to create an exact copy to complete the helmet.

IN reflection to these and all the props that I have created I can see that I am improving every time I go to model something in 3D. The helmet is by far the best piece that I have created to this date, however, I know places in which I can improve on it and all of my other props. The improvement would be my topology. The wings on the side of the helmet do not have good topology which could be improved over time. As well as this I am still using a few tris which I am slowly managing to remove, making sure that the model is mainly filled with quads. However, something which I feel like I am already doing well in is my polygon count since I managed to keep this helmet prop below 600 polygons.

3D Models: Weapons

To go with the shield that I created I modeled a number of weapons including a sword, a spear, and a bow. This allowed me to experiment with the different modifiers within 3DS Max. I felt like the Bevel tool benefitted me the most as it allowed me to add more to the shape onto a certain face. As well as this it also allows me to change the shape and make larger faces.

Out of all of these weapons, I feel like the spear was the easiest to create as it is mainly a handle with a small blade. For all of the blades, I found that the target weld was a good tool to use as it allowed all the edges to meet at a certain point. To make sure that this wasn’t a tri I added a very small square at the end of the blade. The dagger was easy to make as I used the sword which I previously created and re-scaled the pieces so that the blade and hilt were smaller. So that it wasn’t exactly the same I also slightly changed the shape of the hilt so that it was more unique. The bow was just a cylinder beveled and rotated to gain the correct shape. To save me time and to make sure it was the same on both sides I used the symmetry modifier.

I still need more practice using this program but the more I used it the easier I find it and the more abilities I am able to do.