Texture Maping

For this task, we had to create tillable textures. We did this by first going out and getting pictures of things such as leaves, bricks, and gravel. We specifically got these textures as they are not simple. Once we had our textures we then had to take them into photoshop and fix them so that no seams could be seen when the texture was duplicated.

Firstly we made the size of the texture 512×512 as it is optimal to work with a power of two. We then added an offset so that the texture wraps around creating a horizontal and vertical seem in the middle. To remove this seem we then used the patch tool and the clone tool so that parts can be replaced with another part of the texture. The good thing about using these tools is that it tries to blend in around the edges of the part you are trying to patch meaning that it is more likely for that part to blend it. One rule that we had to remember when using these tools was to avoid erasing the seem at the borders. this is because the texture has an offset which means that it will wrap around.

I felt like I did an okay job at removing the seams on my first attempt however due to the different lighting on the texture it means that it didn’t line up when they were connected as the light cause a line through the middle.

 

 

 

 

3D Modeling: Cart

To practice using 3DS Max we were tasked with creating a wooden cart based on a piece of concept art that we were given. We did this using quads and cylinders as the cart was very basic. When making the wheels we had to first cut out the middle so that the triangular polygons could be replaced with quads. The cart didn’t need to look exactly like the concept art but had to resemble it.

To reflect on this I feel like I need to continue practicing with 3DS Max as atm I can only create basic shapes however this is a good start. I may even recreate the cart in the future to show a comparison of how I have improved in 3DS Max.

 

 

Environment Props and Objects

For this task, I needed to come up with objects that would be in the interior and exterior of my environments. I did this by creating a list of common items that would be associated with these players or left there by other people. Once the list was compiled I then choose a couple of items from the list and began to design them.

Firstly I started with the beer jug and created a variety of unique designs that were recognizable as a form of liquid holder. I did this by making it so that the designs were rounded at the top to show that they were hollow. I used contour lines to do this as well.

After this, I then moved on to the broom as this is another common object which would be seen in a tavern. These designs all looked fairly similar, each having a stick and a brush on the hand. However, I changed the shape of the stick, adding extra handles on different designs, and also changed the type of brush on the end.

I then decided to develop one of the objects from the Aztec exterior and decided to do a dead fish. This is a prop as the fish is dead and the player can interact with it. Because this is a creature I wanted a unique design, therefore, I used paradolia. After creating a couple of designs I could see a few which could be further developed.