3D Models: Armor and Quiver

After finishing the weapons I then decided to tackle the hardest pieces of the list of props, that being the quiver, with arrows, and the helmet. I started off with the quiver Using a cylinder as the base shape. This could have already been the finished prop but I decided to add detail such as metal rims that were at the top and bottom, appearing as if they were holding the quiver together. I then added a seam down the middle and little buckles where straps would attach to the quiver. All of these made the quiver feel more life like and like it could actually be used. To go in the quiver I also made an arrow which I would copy and paste so that the quiver was full. The arrow was fairly simple as I used the tricks I learned from the sword on how to have a realistic looking sharp edge.

The hardest piece of all the props was the helmet and I found that the easiest way to create it was in separate pieces. I started off by creating the basic shape with a sphere as this gave me a rounded shape that would be used as the top. I then sculpted it so that it was similar to the original drawings that I had created. Since this was a sphere it was hard to use the bevel tool to add detail, therefore, I decided just to create the pieces separately and then attach them together. Finally, I created the wings which I used a side of a box with multiple segments so that I could adjust the shape. Then I mirrored all the pieces to create an exact copy to complete the helmet.

IN reflection to these and all the props that I have created I can see that I am improving every time I go to model something in 3D. The helmet is by far the best piece that I have created to this date, however, I know places in which I can improve on it and all of my other props. The improvement would be my topology. The wings on the side of the helmet do not have good topology which could be improved over time. As well as this I am still using a few tris which I am slowly managing to remove, making sure that the model is mainly filled with quads. However, something which I feel like I am already doing well in is my polygon count since I managed to keep this helmet prop below 600 polygons.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s