For this task, I was randomly given an object to 3D model. This object had to be based on its real life counterpart sitting on the table. The model had to be as close to the real-life piece as possible and only needed to show the detail of that. What I mean by this is that since the iron was stood upright, there would be no need to model the bottom of it as it can not be seen.
I started off this project by drawing the iron in multiple different perspectives so that I could identify the key shapes that make the Iron. I then began to break it down into its core elements which included a drawing of it from the front, back, and sides. Then drawings of the handle separately and all of the buttons separately. The reason that I did this is because these items would have to be modelled separately, therefore, it makes sense to draw them in advance so that I don’t need to try to visualise the object on its own.
After finishing my drawings I began to 3D model the Iron. I found that the easiest way to gain the shape of the iron was to use an FFD Box modifier since the iron was curved in two directions. To make this easier for myself I only did one-half of the iron and then mirrored it as this would give me an exact copy so that both sides lined up.
I Then created the handle using the bend modifier as this allowed me to easily curve a cylinder into the correct shape. I had to adjust the vertex’s so that it aligned with the front panel smoothly and didn’t look out of place. I found that the best way to gain the shape of the handle was to just create half of it as if I had done an 180-degree bend it would be too rounded and cause me more hassle. By creating just one half I could adjust the length and shape which then gave me more of an oval shaped handle when I mirrored it. The mirror tool benefitted me a lot with this project and has certainly increased my thought process with the beginning stages of the project as I feel like I try to think of the easiest solution before creating the work unlike what I have done in the previous projects where I start and then realise how I can do it more easier.
Finally, I created the buttons and the lead for the iron. These were fairly simple to create as the buttons mainly consisted of bevelled cylinders and bevelled cubes.I made sure with the cylinders that I was only using quads, I deleted the inner polygons of the caps and replaced them so there was no tris. The lead was made using a cylinder which I added the bend modifier to 180 degrees and then mirrored to gain the complete ring. The reason I did half is because I wanted it to sit as closely to the Iron as possible and this was easier If I did it piece by piece. I then mirrored the lead multiple times and slightly moved them so it looked like the lead had been wrapped over itself multiple times. The plug was simple to create and I used another mirrored lead which was attached to it and then hidden in the bundle of lead.
The mirror tool benefitted me a lot with this project and has certainly increased my thought process with the beginning stages of the project as I feel like I try to think of the easiest solution before creating the work unlike what I have done in the previous projects where I start and then realise how I can do it more easier. As well as this I feel like I am slowly getting better with the program as I am starting to understand more of the modifiers, especially the FFD. If I didn’t use that modifier I doubt I would have been able to complete this project. The finished render came out really well for this project and I have tried to keep the Iron to scale as much as possible using measurements which I made off of the real life version.
When trying to improve my presentation in Creative Futures I improved the materials used for my iron aswell as the lighting and the background. This was to make it look clean and finished. I went for a light orange colour so it looked like a clay model, subtle, but would stand out in a bunch of images.